This is a simple mingling activity that can be used with low level groups to provide practice in asking and answering questions. The lesson is designed for adults but could also be used with older teenagers.
Activity: True or false?
Activity type: Mingling – asking and answering questions
- Write these two incomplete statements on the board:
1 ……………… has got a bike.
2 ……………… goes to bed late.
- Fill the gaps with the names of two students who are present.
1 (Paulo) has got a bike.
2 (Jan) goes to bed late.
- Explain that you want to find out whether these statements are true or false. In order to do that, you need to ask (Paulo) and (Jan) a question. Elicit the questions that need to be asked.
1 Have you got a bike?
2 Do you go to bed late?
- Invite another student to ask the first question to (Paulo). If (Paulo’s) answer is yes, write true at the end of the statement. If the answer is no, write false. Repeat the process with the second question.
- Give each student a copy of the handout and tell them to fold it along the dotted line.
- Students complete the first column by writing the names of their classmates. They should write everybody’s name at least once. They should not write their own name but they can include the teacher’s name.
- Students then unfold the handout and read through the statements. Explain the meaning of any unknown vocabulary as necessary and encourage students to work in pairs, anticipating the questions that they will need to ask.
- At this stage you can elicit the first few questions and write them on the board:
Do you read the newspaper every day?
Do you like sushi?
Can you make a cake?
- Students then mingle, asking and answering their questions and writing true or false.
- For stronger groups, encourage them to ask for further information about each statement. For example, if a student reads the newspaper every day, ask: "Which newspaper do you read?"
- Make one copy of the worksheet per student.
Copyright - please read
All the materials on these pages are free for you to download and copy for educational use only.